The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band CD (album) cover

SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND

The Beatles

Proto-Prog

UMUR
5 stars Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is the eigth full-length studio album by British pop/ rock act The Beatles. Listening to this album always makes realize how fantastic The Beatles really were. Their technical skills were not neccessarily the most evolved even at this point in their career but they had a unique abillity to write memorable and beautiful songs. The Beatles were never a fully progressive act like ELP, Yes or Genesis but they had a great influence on what was later called progressive rock ( and most other modern music for that matter) and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is probably the most influential proto-prog album by The Beatles.

All songs on the album segue into each other to form a sort of concept album. I canīt say that itīs not much of a concept album to these ears. The way the songs segue into each other gives the album a great flow though. There are 13 songs on the album and not one is weak or even below average. This is in every possible way a perfect album IMO. The production is wonderful, warm and detailed, the songwriting is sophisticated and slightly experimental yet melodic and memorable and those vocals just soothe my ears in a way not many other vocals can. So beautiful. Even the Ringo Starr led With A Little Help From My Friends is a great song and I usually dislike any song that he sings on because of his weak voice and inability to hit the right notes. Somehow he got it right on this one. The psychadelic Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds ( and no Zappa that one was not called Lousiana Hooker With Herpes), the two in one song A Day In The Life and the excellent Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite with its carnival atmosphere are examples of the more experimental side of the music on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band but there are actually all sorts of different influences in the music gives the album great variation. The psychadelic citar driven George Harrison song Within You Without You, the great rocker Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and the beautiful Sheīs Leaving Home with its wonderful string arrangement all adds variation to the greater picture and makes this album the classic it is.

Itīs hard to say enough praising words about this album but the most important thing to say is this: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is a MASTERPIECE and a highly recommendable album. Mandatory listening if you ask me and thatīs no matter what genre you prefer. This is one of those albums that everyone needs to have heard at least once in their life IMO. One of the most sure 5 star ratings I have yet given and Iīm not even what most people would consider a real fan ( I know my review sounds like it, but I actually regard myself as a more casual listener when it comes to The Beatles). Thereīs just something special about this album that blows my mind every time.

UMUR | 5/5 |