Magma - Üdü Ẁüdü CD (album) cover

Zeuhl

Easy Livin
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars Interesting?

I thought I'd give this album a try for two reasons. Firstly, ace snooker player Steve Davis lists Magma as his all time favourite band, and in fact paid for them to reform for a live concert some years ago. Secondly, it was cheap!

The first (title) track, sets out the band's stall immediately. A brass backed jazz rock beat complete with African style percussion introduces male and female "tribal" vocals, not unlike some of Santana's early work. "Weidorgie" is slightly more commercial with a heavier more traditional rock beat, and pleasant mildly operatic male vocals.

I must admit, my attention wandered somewhat as the album wore on, the tracks seemed to merge into each other in a sea of rambling jazz rock, with little to set it apart from the many others who have trodden the same path. The long final track "De Futura" did however grab my attention. Some interesting synthesiser introduces what seems to pretty much be a Jank Top solo outing. Normal service is resumed as the track progresses and it ends rather disappointingly a long while later.

I don't know how representative of the band this album is, and it's not a bad album, it's just dull and uninspired.

Easy Livin | 2/5 |