Mastodon - Blood Mountain CD (album) cover

BLOOD MOUNTAIN

Mastodon

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

The Crow
3 stars The third Mastodon's full length efforth was their definitive entry into prog!

The outstanding "Leviathan" had some prog elements, with intrincated passages and some long instrumental sections... But it's really far from the complexity of "Blood Mountain", where the guys show all their instrumental skills, and the great amount of imagination they have to write songs. Nevertheless, I think they did not achieve the level of "Leviathan".

The style of this album is still a curious mixture between thrash metal, stoner and prog, like the previous one... But "Blood Mountain" has an increased level of prog and psychedelic elements, making the songs more intrincated and variated, and even more personal and unique. The problem is that they are not so catchy as the "Leviathan" killer tracks... The experimentation of this album is coomendable, but I think the band did not achieve a real good balance between the inmediate killer power of "Leviathan" and the new attempt to reach a proggier level.

Specially the second half of the album is a bit dull to hear, because some songs like the silly Bladecatcher, the insipid Hunters of the Sky and the not really interesting Hand of Stone, are under the usual level of the band.

Best Tracks: the first five tracks are splendid... And I like Colony of Birchmen and Siberian Divide very much. The rest of the album is not at the same level.

Conclusion: I think that Blood Mountain is a kind of transition album... It has not the power and the catchy style of "Leviathan", because the band tried new musical ways in the prog way, but not finding the right balance. The album has great songs, but some musical ideas didn't work so good, specially int the second half of the album, and the general level is under "Leviathan". Have they found a better formula in "Crack the Skye"? I hope so!

My rating: ***1/2