Isis - Oceanic CD (album) cover

OCEANIC

Isis

Experimental/Post Metal

UMUR
4 stars Oceanic is the second full-length studio album by US post metal/ experimental metal act Isis. The album was released on September 16, 2002 by Ipecac Recordings and produced by Isis and Matt Bayles.

The music consists of crushingly heavy riffs and mellower clean guitar parts which brings lots of atmoshere to the sound. The music is generally repetitive and slow. Building themes and creating climaxes. The mellower parts introduces a post rock element in Isis music which was only hinted at on the debut album Celestial (2000). It brings much appreciated variation to the music IMO. The vocals are raw and shouting. They are a bit low in the mix but I guess thatīs on purpose. There are some female vocals too but they are even lower in the mix. I like the shouting vocals but I donīt find them excellent. I would have appreciated a more varied vocal approach.

The production is really good and the musicianship is excellent. All musicians have great understanding of dynamic playing.

Oceanic is a great improvement over Celestial (2000) which I found was a good album but not really to my taste. With Oceanic my expectations to how a great post metal album should sound like are more fully met. 3.5 - 4 stars is my rating. Iīll round it up to 4 stars because 3 stars would be too few.

UMUR | 4/5 |