Frank Zappa - Over-Nite Sensation CD (album) cover

Frank Zappa

2 stars Ever have that moment where one of your friends tells this ''funny'' joke and everyone surrounding that friend absolutely laughs up a storm and you just force a few ''ha-has'' to look cool even though you really don't get it. Translate that feeling to my rating for this album and you'll understand what I mean.

OVER-NITE SENSATION is much more focused on the humour rather than the music, and that's where it suffers at least in my eyes. Much of the music sounds like sleazy pop music serving no purpose other than provide a template for the funny stuff. ''Fifty Fifty'' and ''Zomby Woof'' have some instrumental workings and ''I'm the Slime'' has a nice funky riff at the beginning, but that's really about it. I find ''Dinah-Moe Humm'', ''Camarillo Brillo'' and ''Dirty Love'' to be completely useless musically.

I'm not laughing and I'm not impressed. OVER-NITE SENSATION has a few moments of bliss, but I prefer the Mothers of Invention humour over this as the Mothers just sounded more natural and had interesting music underneath everything.

Sinusoid | 2/5 |