Moon Safari - A Doorway To Summer  CD (album) cover

A DOORWAY TO SUMMER

Moon Safari

UMUR
3 stars A Doorway To Summer is the debut full-length studio album by Swedish progressive rock act Moon Safari ( maybe the name is taken from the debut album Moon Safari (1998) by French semi-progressive pop/ rock act Air?). The album was released in 2005 through the independent record label Blomljud Records

Something is funny about Moon Safariīs sound. Itīs just so unmistakably Swedish and I canīt help thinking about bands like The Flower Kings, Ritual and especially Kaipa which is the band Moon Safari reminds me the most about. The music on A Doorway To Summer has Lots of organic sounding instruments like acoustic guitars, Hammond Organ, Piano ( and various other vintage keyboards and synths like moog and mellotron) and Harmonica ( which gives the music a folky feel). The vocals are a special treat. Lots of harmony vocals and choir arrangements and the vocal style is generally pleasant and soothing to the ears. The music is very melodic and quite accessible. The style is generally mellow and pleasant but complicated enough not to be mistaken for easy listening muzak. The spirit is uplifting and light and the personally I miss a few more dark and emotionally intense moments but I guess thatīs an aquired taste. If you want something that just flows nicely and sounds pleasant this is perfect.

There are 5 songs on the album. All of them pretty long. The shortest track is Dance across the Ocean with its 7:30 minutes playing time while We spin the world with its 24:52 minutes playing time takes the prize as the longest track on the album.

The production is pleasant, warm and organic. Just perfect for the music.

A Doorway To Summer is a very well crafted debut album by Moon Safari. Fans of the above mentioned bands are adviced to take a listen here as this album is as profesional and pleasant sounding as most of the output by those bands. As I said above I do miss a bit of bite in the music ( which is also a problem for me with Kaipaīs music at times) and I find it a bit hard to consume this much nice and pleasant music unless Iīm really in the mood for it. Again itīs surely an aquired taste. 3.5 stars are well deserved.

UMUR | 3/5 |