The Beatles - Eleanor Rigby CD (album) cover

ELEANOR RIGBY

The Beatles

Proto-Prog

UMUR
3 stars Eleanor Rigby is a single release by British pop/ rock act The Beatles. The single was released on the 5th of August 1966 which is also the same day that the album Revolver (1966) which it was taken from was released.

In addition to Eleanor Rigby the single also features the song Yellow Submarine which is also taken directly from the Revolver album. Eleanor Rigby is a string driven song with a melancholic mood sung by Paul McCartney while Yellow Submarine, which features drummer Ringo Starr on vocals, shows the more humourous side of The Beatles. I enjoy Eleanor Rigby greatly but I must admit that I find Yellow Submarine a bit too silly and not to my taste.

As any single this is of course mostly for the collectors, but IMO it shouldnīt be rated as such. Back when this single was released albums were very expensive ( at least thatīs what Iīve been told by my parents) and not everybody had the money to purchase full albums. So single releases were much more important than they are today as the much cheaper singles were the only way for some of the fans to purchase The Beatles music. As Eleanor Rigby is such a wonderful song but my interest in Yellow Submarine is non-existent I will rate this single with 2.5 stars and round that up to 3 stars.

UMUR | 3/5 |