Prime Mover - Put In Perspective CD (album) cover

PUT IN PERSPECTIVE

Prime Mover

Eetu Pellonpää
3 stars The first official CD of the group, recorded now in different studios instead with home equipment, and also last one with english lyrics. Nice electronic cosmic soundscapes start the album, joined by cool bass groove and subtle bluesy guitars. Drums open the track, and vocals sooin joining are now better than in the first demo CD, maybe little reminding some Pearl Jam songs I have heard. Again there are much happening logically in the tracks; What the group might lack in free playing due not doing gigs, they gain much from the careful studio working most certainly! Rhythm movements are really wonderful here, second track kicks in the hardrock phase, followed by mellow downers and positive rock songs. "Laughable" and "See It for Yourself" lean in my understaning to more neo-proggish and mainstream hardrock style. The last longest track starts as electronic trance music or something, going trough other styles present in the recording within ambitious composition.

The professional bass playing with hardrock guitar sound and modern electronic synths bring again associations of the band having a song with same name as this group, but there's no traces of copying any very charastetical elements from their music to here. Personal and sincere approach pleases always, though this music is not something striking directly to my own taste. Nevertheless I liked it and this kind of "surprise effect" increase the listeing pleasure. I think the sounds are bit blurry in some parts, but again this does not hur me; A regular listener of early 20th century opera and 60's/70's audience rarity tapings. Lyrics and moods related to everyday life make the songs easy to symphatize.

If you like both commercial rock and also classical progressive rock, this group offers the combination of these in the same packet. First five songs are done by the guitarrist, and last three by the bass player (both also singing on the record). I liked the earlier songs more, which are more precise their approach. The later are not bad either, but different slightly in style. I'll say it's three and half stars worth, but if you are a fan if this style music, you may round it up to four! I also liked the symphatetic cover painting somehow quite much.

Eetu Pellonpää | 3/5 |