Il Balletto di Bronzo - Ys CD (album) cover

YS

Il Balletto di Bronzo

Rock Progressivo Italiano

ods94065
4 stars The "Introduzione" to this album is fifteen minutes of some of the best prog I've ever heard in my life. A deliciously eerie vocal intro leads to a brooding declamation over organ, which gives way to a steadily building tension that explodes into a frenetic 7/8 jam which you won't ever want to end. Keyboards are front and center, harmonies are crunchy and inventive, and the sound is oh so Italian. The album is worth way more than the price of admission for this track alone. It's on the top 10 list of "tracks I'd cover if I could."

The rest of the album is well worth listening to, but at some point I found myself listening to it less and less--the brooding anxiety and weirdness of the music has gotten to me as the years pass. But there's tons of interesting experimentation and creativity to dig into from beginning to end. And who wouldn't like the way they end with the introduction in retrograde?

ods94065 | 4/5 |