Rush - Snakes & Arrows Live CD (album) cover

SNAKES & ARROWS LIVE

Rush

Roj
4 stars I've been a Rush fan for many years now, but had never got round to buying a Rush live DVD. Then I saw this in a liquidation sale and decided to take the plunge. I was not disappointed!

Firstly, having seen a fair few concert DVDs I have to say this has the best picture and sound quality of any I've come across. The camera work is spot on and the whole presentation is nothing short of outstanding.

Filmed in Holland on the Snakes And Arrows tour, the triple disc set is culled heavily from the album of that name. That's not a problem for me as I think Snakes And Arrows is a great album and probably their best since Signals. There is material spread from throughout their career, though 80s onwards does dominate and you have to look to disc 3 to find the really old classics. 2112 anyone?

The band are in great form throughout and appear to have lost none of their zest. Neil could do with smiling occasionally though! There are really too many highlights to mention, although I simply have to namecheck disc 2 opener Far Cry, a great song which is given a truly superb rendition here. Also, Armor and Sword, and The Main Monkey Business are outstanding and even better than the studio versions. For percussion freaks (like me) you simply cannot miss Neil Peart's solo on De Slagwerker. It's really innovative and much different from his solos down the years which have tended not to change much.

I think for some people the choice of material would be off-putting, and whilst I agree the setlist is not faultless (the setlist from Exit Stage Left is perfect) you have to appreciate this is right up- to-date, hence the setlist, and in my view this is a top-notch concert DVD. It's thoroughly recommended for fans of modern Rush especially and as such easily warrants 4 stars. My true rating is nearer 4.25. For a Rush fan it is of course essential.

Roj | 4/5 |