Epignosis - Still the Waters CD (album) cover

STILL THE WATERS

Epignosis

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars Damn, this is a good album! (Sorry Robert, I had to say that)

Listening to this album, I find that Robert W. Brown, Jr., our own Epignosis, is a very talented prog composer. His songs all have an element of elegance, as well as an air of peacefulness, with an underlying feeling of power and majesty.

His lyrics are unquestionably Christian inspirational, but they lack the finger-pointing judgemental qualities that make many religious songwriters off-putting, or even unlistenable. In fact, for the most part, his lyrics are quite nice (but they still won't convert this atheist).

It's difficult to find another artist with whom to compare the compositions, although I do hear a bit of the Kansas influence Robert often admits to. At times, his songs remind me a bit of ealy Echolyn's softer ballads, without the harmonied vocals.

While there are no pyrotechnic virtuoso performances, Robert proves himself to be extremely competent on all the instruments played here, I especially like his tasteful guitar playing, as well as his choices of guitar and keyboard sounds.

The only real drawback I find on the album is in production. Most of the songs could use some vocal layering, to add some depth to the sound, and many of the instrumantal sections would benefit from some fattening up. But I'm a maximalist, so maybe that's just me.

All in all, this is an excellent first album from someone who could develop into a major performer in the progressive rock field.

Evolver | 4/5 |