Svartbag - Svartbag CD (album) cover

SVARTBAG

Svartbag

Psychedelic/Space Rock

UMUR
2 stars Svartbag is the debut full-length studio album by Danish post rock/ experimental rock act Svartbag. The band features members from the Danish bands The Bleeder Group and Düreforsög.

The music on the album is minimalistic, droning and slow building post rock. There are also some obvious nods towards the early german krautrock scene. I was for example reminded of Neu! when I listened to the second song on the album The Flutist. As mentioned the songs are very simple and slow building towards multilayered climaxes of droning noises. The music is dark and atmospheric. The most accessible song is probably the above mentioned The Flutist which is also the shortest track on the album with its 5:21 minutes playing time. The other four songs ranges from 8 to 14 minutes in playing time.

The production is pretty raw and unpolished with lots of distorted guitars, electronics and samples mixed together. I think the sound suits the music well.

For fans of slow building post rock with lots of drones this is probably a really good release but I must say that I prefer my post rock to be less repetitive and more melodic. I enjoy the dark atmosphere but the repetitive nature of the music really turns me off. I can´t give more than 2.5 stars. This is a case of me not enjoying the music though and not a case of bad quality.

UMUR | 2/5 |