Il Castello Di Atlante - Capitolo 7  - Tra Le Antiche Mura CD (album) cover

Il Castello Di Atlante

Rock Progressivo Italiano

Nightfly
Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
3 stars So far Capitolo 7 - Tra Le Antiche Mura remains my one and only encounter with Il Castello Di Atlante so I can't compare this with past albums. Nevertheless I found it an enjoyable enough listen to make me curious about their past work and will in time get round to checking out at least some of their previous 5 albums.

Overall it's a beautifully crafted album of Italian symphonic prog. The first couple of listens I was left a little underwhelmed by the experience, perhaps down to the fact that it moves along at a fairly subdued pace lacking highs and lows, no in your face bombastic moments to speak of. After a while though you realise therein lies its charms as the gentle melodies get under your skin, particularly second and third tracks, Malebolge and 19 minute epic Ancora Suonare Ancora Insieme which are superb pieces. The music is largely keyboard dominated ( including some nice organ work) with a generous helping of violin, electric guitar coming to the front occasionally too, more slow sustained note soloing than riffing. A competent rhythm section whilst never in your face keeps the mostly mid pace material moving along nicely. Even when the pace picks up a bit the music still retains a lazy flowing vibe lacking explosive dynamics. The vocals of Aldo Bergamini, not surprisingly sung in Italian are adequate though lacking the emotional qualities of say Francesco Di Giacomo of Banco for example.

In all an album worthy of the attention of Italian prog lovers but lacking the excitement of more recent RPI releases of the last year or so in my collection by the likes of Pandora and Il Bacio Della Medusa. 3 stars.

Nightfly | 3/5 |