Weather Report - I Sing The Body Electric  CD (album) cover

I SING THE BODY ELECTRIC

Weather Report

UMUR
4 stars I Sing The Body Electric is the second full-length studio album by American Jazz/ fusion act Weather Report. After leaving Miles Davis group, saxophonist Wayne Shorter and keyboardist Joe Zawinul formed Weather Report to further explore the fusion style they had played with Miles Davis on some of his groundbreaking late sixties releases. Most notably In a Silent Way (1969) and of course Bitches Brew (1970) ( Wayne Shorter contributes to a couple more). Their self-titled debut album Weather Report (1971) didnīt go down that well with me. Lots of good performances on that one but the songs didnīt really click with me. Fortunately I Sing The Body Electric is a much more inspired and fierce album.

Percussionist Airto Moreira has been replaced by Don Um Romao and drummer Alphonze Mouzon has been replaced by Eric Gravatt on this release. Wayne Shorter, Joe Zawinul and bassist Miroslav Vitous remain from the debutīs lineup.

The music is jazz/ fusion played with virtuosic skill. Lots of soprano and tenor saxophone playing from Wayne Shorter, complex and groovy rythms, excellent bass playing and loads of different experiments with sounds by keyboardist Joe Zawinul. The latterīs performance is actually one of most fantastic things on this album IMO. I love that distorted Rhodes sound.

The four tracks on Side 1 of the original LP are studio recordings while the three songs on Side 2 of the original LP are recorded live. Side 1 tracks Unknown Soldier, Second Sunday in August and the excellent The Moors ( with great 12 string acoustic guitar by Ralph Towner) are excellent tracks to my ears while Crystal with its almost ambient mood isnīt a favorite of mine. The live songs on Side 2 are fantastic too. Especially The 10:10 minute long Medley: T.H./Dr. Honoris Causa where we get to hear both Wayne Shorter and Joe Zawinul showing their skills. Surucucus is a pretty chaotic track to my ears and not a favorite but the ending song Directions is wonderful. Fast and fierce playing on that one.

The production is excellent. Both on the studio and the live recordings.

I Sing The Body Electric is an excellent album release by Weather Report. This album has got exactly what was missing from the debut: Attitude. 4 stars are deserved.

UMUR | 4/5 |