Gong - Radio Gnome Invisible Part 1 - Flying Teapot  CD (album) cover

RADIO GNOME INVISIBLE PART 1 - FLYING TEAPOT

Gong

Canterbury Scene

friso
5 stars I finally got my hands on a vinyl copy of this strange Gong record. The Virgin lable cover is slide different, but it also shows a flying teapot with pothead pixies in it. I had never seen a real copy of this so I was very excited to listen to it! And I loved it from the first moment. The atmospheres are psychedelic, but with a lot of fantasy. Some songs have a sort of late '60 popfeel (Beatles for example) upgraded with progressive songwriting. . While the opener Radiognome is a dark and strange song, the fiteen minutes Flying Teapot is a long psychadelic/space rock jam and song. In both songs we here saxes and strangly ampliefied guitars. Within the psychadelic concept one can find a lot of jazz influences, which can be a clue for the Canterbury lable Gong has on PA. Side two has more short songs and makes this record very balanced. The Pothead pixies is one of my favourite songs with great lyrics: They got a Flying Teapot, don't need a taxi. I am - you are - we are - crazy! They're from the planet of love, the Pot Head Pixies. I am - you are - we are - crazy! If you aren't drift away in some spacey mood by now your doing some seriously wrong. The Octave docters and the Crystal machine is two minute senthisizor track wich fits perfectly in the concept and feel of this record. Zero the Hero shows some psychadelic moment combined with a lot jazz improvisations, very interesting here! The last offering of this strang teapot is the Witch Song (I am you pussy). This time we hear a psychadelic song combined with really progressive themes wich remind a bit of the early Gentle Giant. The female lyrics are spooky AND sensual.. a strange combination. Only the recording of this last song is a bit unrewarding... it could have been a more beautifull song.

The muscianship on this record is good, though it's experimental factor makes it great! You can hear a lot of new concepts and a lot of old concepts wich are made funny in their contexts. Daved Allen and Steve Hillage show how solo's can work very nicely with the concept without taking time for very long extended solo's, they fit in very nicely. Overall the crazy atmosphere of this record and it's absurd storyline (wich I'm not going to discribe) makes this a very special record for me. It's so fresh, it's strange... I really get carried away in this music and feel like I am in a fantasy world. My girlfriend also liked this record for its crazyness, wich doesn't happen very often.

A very well made and inspiring record from a great group in a great year. A personal gain for me, I never heard something like this and so it is important for my collection and hopefully yours too. Five stars!

friso | 5/5 |