Grobschnitt - Solar Music - Live CD (album) cover

SOLAR MUSIC - LIVE

Grobschnitt

friso
4 stars - If case of any inconvinience while listening to this record, please change your dealer, kill your canary or write tot he salvation army -

...says the information on the back of my Grobschnitt - Solar Music lp. The foto on the cover and back of the sleeve give an impression on what extra dimensions their liveshows must have had in addition to this high quality music recording. A very special thing element of this recording for me is the fact that they made a great sounding recording with great modern (but never bothering) amplification of the instruments in this 1978. Usually records of this period, closing in on the eighties sound, sound very bold. Grobschnitt has a new wave of britisch heavy metal like guitar sound at times and seventies keyboard sounds. It's composition style however is influenced by the early seventies spacerock/psychadelica movement. Atmosphere with a big A, long jams with spacy sounds and no rush. They take their time to get into the compositions. Other bands that come to minde are HAWKWIND and ELOY, but Grobschnitt manages to get an own feel. One thing in common with ELOY is the non-English feel (wich I can't explain). The tracks often start peacefull and in one big intensivationrun to the end all the possibilities of this band come along. Extended soloing with two guitars with perfectly added effects like delay, giving the jams its space sound along with the sometimes strange psychedelic 'vocals' and the spacy keyboards. This record has a lot of part but if you see it as a whole one could see it as one movement, one big composition. The wholeness of this record is a great achievement, for it isn't simple for a live album to get this effect. I can listen to this with all my attention and I can let it play on the background and just enjoy it's nice atmosphere.

- Would you like to sit with your bum on the bottom of the sun -

...says the lyrics on side two.

Somehow this music isn't technically as developed as other great bands like Genesis or Yes, but the great advancement of the songs are a rarity. Grobschnitt sound extremely anticipated to one another and their lies the quality of this record along with its great flow. Thought side one has a bit of dissapointing opener, everything gets really great after five minutes and stays that way till the last note of side 2.

Conclusion. A relaxing space/symphonic record with some fun and great amplification and production. This got me really interested in other works of this band. I'm a bit unsure how to rate this. For now it will be four stars, 4.3 actually. I might change this when I have listened to it more, it might be an essential masterpiece of progressive music!

friso | 4/5 |