Dead Can Dance - A Passage In Time CD (album) cover

Dead Can Dance

Prog Folk

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
2 stars This is just way too pastoral for my tastes. In fact, I'll go as far as saying this band is much closer to new age (gasp!) than prog.

The majority of the songs on this collection are very light faux world music, mostly done with Middle Eastern music as the primary influence. The vocals are light and fluffy, and so is most of the music. A few of the selections are more upbeat, but not terribly interesting to me. Some, especially the opening track, "Saltarella", sound like the background music for a scene where a blue, nearly naked girl dances around Captain Kirk.

I know faux world music was extremely popular for a while in the 80s and 90s. Quite a few pop stars on the decline kept their careers afloat riding this wave. But this style usually bores me.

Evolver | 2/5 |