Sigur Rs - Me Su  Eyrum Vi Spilum Endalaust CD (album) cover

ME SU EYRUM VI SPILUM ENDALAUST

Sigur Rs

Post Rock/Math rock

UMUR
3 stars Me Su Eyrum Vi Spilum Endalaust is the fifth ( excluding soundtrack- and remix albums) full-length studio album by Icelandic post rock/ experimental rock act Sigur Ros. Ive been completely awstrucken by their three previous studio albums gtis Byrjun (1999), () (2002) and Takk....(2005). Especially the two former have made quite an impact on me. As a consequence of my interest in Sigur Ros Ive been very curious about what Me Su Eyrum Vi Spilum Endalaust would bring to the table.

The music style on Me Su Eyrum Vi Spilum Endalaust turns out to be quite a change for the band though. While the three previous albums excelled in beautiful melancholic slow building and generally pretty long songs that sounded like they where recorded on an Icelandic gletcher, Me Su Eyrum Vi Spilum Endalaust mostly features shorter vers/ chorus songs that are closer to mainstream pop/ rock than anything else Sigur Ros have done before. The melancholic mood is still there but there is a more uplifting spirit at play here too. The few songs that exceed the 5 minute mark are the most interesting IMO. The 9:24 minute long Festival and the 8:57 minute long ra Btur both points backwards to former greatness while most other songs are a bit mediocre compared to their earlier material. The fact that Jnsi Birgission has chosen to sing with his Thom Yorke ( Radiohead) like voice instead of his high pitched singing voice for the most of the album doesnt really help on my impression either. The album is very short for a Sigur Ros album with its only 49:39 minute playing time but with the more easily accessible material on the album thats allright IMO.

The musicianship is as usual impeccable and the production while not as grand as on the previous albums, is still professional and well sounding.

Me Su Eyrum Vi Spilum Endalaust is a good album by Sigur Ros but its been a bit of a disappointment for me personally. I cant give more than 3 stars. Ill revisit the album frequently to see if I change my mind though.

UMUR | 3/5 |