Kate Bush - Aerial CD (album) cover

AERIAL

Kate Bush

UMUR
4 stars Aerial is the eigth full-length studio album by UK experimental pop/ rock artist Kate Bush. The album is a double CD album with a 80:02 minute long playing time. Kate Bush last album The Red Shoes was released in 1993, so Aerial has been 12 years in the making. Kate Bush became a mother during those years though and have dedicated much of her time on the task ( enjoyment) of motherhood. I got the album when it was released in 2005 but itīs taken me a couple of years to fully appreciate. I was disappointed at first. Not that I expected much after the disaster that was The Red Shoes. Iīve come around though and after repeated listens in the last couple of years Iīve found the essence in the album and I greatly enjoy it now.

Kate Bush has matured quite a bit since the release of The Red Shoes, and while her music and her singing is easily recognisable as her style, itīs especially the lyrics that are different. The sensual themes are toned down and instead the songs are about everyday life. Thereīs a song about laundry ( Mrs. Bartolozzi) and a song about her love for her son ( Bertie). I find her new found lyrical approach quite charming allthough it does lack the edge of former times.

With an 80 minute long playing time thereīs always the possibility of fillers but I donīt think thatīs the case with Aerial. Every song is well crafted and performed and itīs like I enjoy the songs more and more with each listen. The second CD with the title A Sky of Honey is a kind of concept piece. I like the way the songs on that CD compliment each other. The music on the album is rather typical for Kate Bush. There are the mellow piano and song oriented pieces and the more keyboard dominated pop songs as usual. In most songs there are slightly experimental sections that lifts her music above standard commercial pop/ rock tunes. A real treat.

The musicianship is excellent. Kate Bush is an outstanding vocalist capable of putting all sorts of emotions into her singing. She has not lost anything in her twelve years absence in terms of range and emotional impact on me.

The production is warm and pleasant and suits the music well.

Aerial is a great comeback IMO. Sitting with the beautiful booklet artwork as a companion I find this album to be a real treat. Maybe not as accomplished as her best albums ( the first five) but definitely worth a 3.5 - 4 star rating.

UMUR | 4/5 |