The Mars Volta - Octahedron CD (album) cover

OCTAHEDRON

The Mars Volta

Tristan Campbell
2 stars What happened to the freak that is The Mars Volta?

It's like the freak dressed up in the prettiest fashionable clothes and is pretending to be like everyone else.

This album is really boring. It is predictable. It is straight. It's missing all of the Latin groove influence. The intensity, power and fury that was shown in Bedlam is missing. Cotopaxi comes close but it is a long way from the brilliant Ilyena from Bedlam.

I don't mind laid back music. I like Televators and even The Widow and Miranda are okay but I don't listen to The Mars Volta for something laid back. Even when The Mars Volta does chilled, it is still a freak. The words are not deep. They are occasionally poetic, but mostly it is just weird.

I hope the freak comes back with the next album and I hope it isn't ashamed of being a freak.

Tristan Campbell | 2/5 |