Al Di Meola - World Sinfonia CD (album) cover

Al Di Meola

Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
4 stars When this album was originally released, I found it to be quite a pleasant surprise. When I read that Al Di Meola had gathered a band to create acoustic world music, with an accordion (well, bandoneon, but what's the difference), I expected schmaltz on the highest level. What I got was acoustic fusion of a high caliber, with flavorings from around the world.

The songs are all wonderful, and Di Meola shows that he can still play rings around just about any other guitarist. Highlights (for me) are "Tango Suite Part I" and "Tango Suite Part III", where Di Meola builds into a frenzy of acoustic guitar bliss. Another nice piece is the acoustic rendering of Return To Forever's "No Mystery".

How can this not rate four stars?

Evolver | 4/5 |