Focus - Moving Waves  CD (album) cover

Focus

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
3 stars Let's focus!

This second Focus album brings some great stuff to the Prog table. Hocus Pocus is fun but I actually think it is the least good song on this album. It is too long and repeats itself a couple of times too many in my opinion. The rest of the first half is, however, very good. Akkerman's acoustic Le Clochard may not be too interesting, but his Janis is a beautiful piece with flutes that reminds me of Camel. The title track is the only vocal piece on the album (if you don't count the yodelling on Hocus Pocus as vocals) and it is another beautiful one. None of these songs are particularly progressive, though.

The music of Focus sounds a bit like a crossover between Jethro Tull, Camel and Emerson Lake & Palmer, perhaps with a sprinkling of Caravan. Keeping in mind that this album was released in 1972 it was quite fresh and interesting.

The long piece that fills the second half on the album has some great parts, but overall it is rather unfocused. They could have distilled it a bit I think.

I like this album, and I wish I could give a higher rating. But it has some flaws that make a higher rating undeserved.

Good, but non-essential.