Magma - Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kömmandöh CD (album) cover

MËKANÏK DËSTRUKTÏẁ KÖMMANDÖH

Magma

Zeuhl

Sinusoid
5 stars A unique work of art. There is nothing else like this, there's really nothing else that even comes close to this. MEKANIK DESTRUKTIW KOMMANDOH gives new meaning to the term ''magnum opus'' as this is easily the apex of Magma's career. They've made many other great albums, but MDK is special.

From the moment the first note comes in, Magma are out to set an apocalyptic trance that draws the listener into their world. ''Hortz Fur Den Stekehn West'' can be described as mesmerizing for those who get it. The choir lines, chanting, and brass overhaul are just the icing; the pianos and bass have already set the tone and have no intention of letting go.

From the moment ''Ima Suri Dondai'' comes in, the tempo picks up and the piece becomes more demented. Sure, we're more dance-y than trance-y here, but MDK has become more intense here if you can believe it. The piano at the beginning of ''Kobaia Iss de Hundin'' is one of the most gripping things I've found in music.

The second half revolves around the strong choral work, essentially becoming a manic operetta that keeps you entertained by the sheer intensity of the music. I tend to forget what they're singing about or the Kobaian language at this point; it's all melodrama and suspense from here. The beginning of ''Nebehr Gudahtt'' is particularly scary as it starts out unassumingly beautiful yet slowly ascends into a manic cry out for help. Fantastic.

If that wasn't enough, the tempo goes out of control halfway through ''Mekanik Kommandoh'' and you're hanging by the seat of your pants trying to figure out when the madness will stop. It does temporarily for ''Kreuhn Kohrmahn Iss de Hundin'', but the soft piano piece gets more intense with vocals near the screaming range.

There's not one note, vocal or transition that I would change; MDK is as close to a perfect album that I've come across without actually getting there (let's face it, no album is perfect). MDK is a rarity for me that every moment from beginning to end is gripping and I prefer to listen to MDK in that fashion. I may be superfluous in saying this, but this is the real deal folks. This is a masterpiece in every sense of the term.

Sinusoid | 5/5 |