Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygene CD (album) cover

OXYGENE

Jean-Michel Jarre

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
1 stars Should have been a single!

I should point out immediately that this type of music isn't my cup of tea at all. But I do like a couple of brief passages of this album including, of course, the famous Oxygéne Part IV. I also like parts of Part II. However, the rest of the album sounds like transportation to my ears. Endless, and rather pointless, sound-scapes that seem to go absolutely nowhere. I realize that this was a rather pioneering work, and as such Jarre was experimenting with new and different sounds. Though an interesting project, I'm afraid that the end result is very difficult to listen too.

Then there is also the issue of in what sense this is at all progressive. It is certainly not Prog in the sense of progressive Rock, so much should be clear to anyone. Experimental it is, though, and that might be enough for a weak relation to Prog to be established?

Not recommended unless you have a special interest in electronic music.

SouthSideoftheSky | 1/5 |