Focus - Moving Waves  CD (album) cover

MOVING WAVES

Focus

The Runaway
4 stars Hamburgers are tastier

Moving Waves is a good album. Not a great album, not a lame album, but a good album. It opens with the song Hocus Pocus, a heavy riff-based song that showcases the skills of Van Leer, Akkerman and Van der Linden perfectly, with flute, guitar and drum solos coming everywhere. The song's chorus (can I call it that?) features a yodelling part which then evolves into an opera. Focus does not tend to use their voice in songs, so this is one of those songs where the amazing voice of This van Leer is used.

Now comes what I call, the Moving Waves trilogy. The three songs Le Clochard, Janis, and Moving Waves. I don't like those songs, and I will not recommend them to any Focus fan, but maybe I don't like them because they're mostly piano-based, or because they don't show- case, or just because they are not prog to me. I'm not saying that they're bad, I'm just saying that they're not necessarily good.

Focus II, the last song of side one, starts with a piano, then moves to Focus-like drum-guitar- bass-flute part, similar to Birth on Hamburger Concerto. A very fun song, as it is catchy and groovy.

Now comes Eruption, a 20 minute masterpiece! The song is split into only 5 parts, but sounds like so much more. The song sounds like guitar riffs come out of every corner, then comes a flute solo, then there's a piano part, then back to an extreme guitar solo, it's like the action never stops! Eruption is one of my favorite Focus songs, which also makes me give this album a 4.

Thanks, Thijs!