Paul Cusick - Focal Point CD (album) cover

FOCAL POINT

Paul Cusick

Tarcisio Moura
3 stars Interesting release by multi instrumentalist Paul Cusick. The word crossover seems to fit just right to describe his music: a cross between alternative rock and prog rock, with some heavy metal riffing here and there. The ambient here is more melancholic than anything else, but the music is generally good. Even if I´m not very fond of alternative rock I found no problem in hearing this CD from start to finish. It has some fine melodies and certain moments, like the poignant Fade Away, are very good. The production is to p notch and the playing (all vocals and instruments done by Cusick himself, but the drums) is superb.

Unfortunatly the songs don´t really stick after you hear them. Very few pieces are memorable and nothing moved enough to make me want to listen to the CD over and over again. It looks like Cusick´s first eford is more promising than fulfilling. Don´t get me wrong, It is a good start and it is obvious that the guy is talented. But he still has to hone his songwriting skills into something stronger and more of his own. He´s got the power to go much further. I´m looking forward to see his next works.

Tarcisio Moura | 3/5 |