Yes - Tormato CD (album) cover

TORMATO

nikow
3 stars From a classic Yes line-up an album which is not a classic, but essential to all Yes fans.

I have always liked everything they have released. That's not to say that all of their albums are great, but that I have not disliked a single one of them. Tormato is no exception. Coming after the magnificent Going for the One Tormato might seem to be a great disappointment, but to me it's not.

The sound of the album is quite similar to GFTO but with a bit lighter tone in the production as well as in the compositions as well. All of the songs are less than 8 minutes long, and it even contains a minor hit single (Don't Kill the Whale).

Tormato contains some great songs like Future Times/Rejoice, Don't Kill the Whale, Release Release and the absolute highlight On the Silent Wings of Freedom. Madrigal is a nice short ballad in the vein of Wonderous Stories but there are some weaker songs like Arriving UFO and Circus of Heaven. They are not bad songs by any stretch, but weaker than the rest of the bunch here.

I personally like this album much, like almost any other Yes album, but like I said in the beginning, Tormato is really not essential unless you're a Yes fan. For others, it's good but non-essential. Therefore 3 stars while for me it's 3,5 stars.

nikow | 3/5 |