Colosseum - Those Who Are About To Die Salute You CD (album) cover

3 stars Those Who Are About To Die Salute You is a really nice debut from Colosseum, but it's nothing groundbreaking. The best I can say about this album is that I like it. I think it's very professionally done, all the players are excellent, the singing ain't that bad and even the production is good considering when it was released.

But it does not excite me very much, even though the music is jazz rock which I usually like very much. The compositions seem fine, but to me they're only half way there and they lack certain spark which would make them more exciting and thrilling. I can't put my finger on it, I just don't get much out of this album. To me it's kind of basic jazz & blues based rock, lacking originality.

There's no denying that the album is good, but the imperative word for me here is that it's only 'nice'. 3 stars.

nikow | 3/5 |