Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (') CD (album) cover

APOSTROPHE (')

Frank Zappa

RIO/Avant-Prog

The T
3 stars This is supposed to be one of the more accesible albums by the American master. I personally think it's much easier to start with something almost-purely instrumental like "Hot rats" before jumping into Mr. ZAPPA's vocal jokes.

Much in the same vein as "Over-Nite Sensation", this album contains similar jazz-oriented, American-sounding, totally-humorous serious music. Because there's no question about it: what the instruments are doing, what Zappa the composer wrote down in the staff with fourths and silences, that's pretty elaborated and interesting. While not really to my liking, I can appreciate the original riffs and odd time signatures and the use of less typicalk harmonies. The vocals, on the other hand, just as the lyrics, are a complete joke, a work of humour, at times fine humour, at times just plain incoherent. One look at the lyrics may tell a prospective listener exactly how this music will be sung. And there will be few errors in the predictions.

In my view, this is even less accessible than "Over-Nite Sensation" precisely because it's more full of humour. Of my few ZAPPA experiences, it's clear the more music-oriented "Hot Rats" has been ther more successful, as I think it will be for anybody that hasn't heard any of his music yet.

The T | 3/5 |