VIII Strada - La Leggenda Della Grande Porta CD (album) cover

VIII Strada

4 stars This came as a big surprise for me, an unknown band (for me) that really got my interest. I read about them as a progressive metal band with lots of heavy guitar and piano and I found some mp3-clips that sounded good so I decided to try them out, and bought their CD. And what a surprise it was.

First, in my book, this is not progressive metal. I'd say these are in the progressive symphonic vein with lots of heavy guitars but also lots of keyboards and mellow parts. The band are heavy sometimes but so are also a lot of other bands labeled progressive rock. The album reminds me about fellow italian proggers Malibran and Calliope, although I consider this album superior to these mentioned bands.

The vocals are fantastic and the singer sings in italian (thanks, I prefer bands to sing in their native language) and the album is full of symphonic melodies with tight arrangements throughout the album, the longer the song, the better it is.

Lots of great vocals, melodies and all types of interesting twists and turns wich makes this album on my top list of 2008, I bought this at the same time as Phideaux - Number seven and Beardfish's - Distined solitaire and this albums is easily as good as those albums.

If you're in to italian progressive rock and like fellow italians like Il Bacio Della Medusa, Pandora and the two I mentioned earlier, this is a must buy!

4 stars, very, very close to 5. Say 4.5!!

Andis | 4/5 |