Ulver - Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr i 5 Capitler CD (album) cover

BERGTATT - ET EEVENTYR I 5 CAPITLER

Ulver

Post Rock/Math rock

toroddfuglesteg
2 stars Ulver was one of the more socially acceptable bands from the first wave of Norwegian black metal bands. This is their debut album and it had a huge impact on the scene.

I never understood why this band was so great. I know that a lot of people rates Ulver as the best ever thing to come out of Norway since the invention of paper clips. I respect that view, but I do not understand it. I come back to this album time after time, trying to understand what they are saying. I still do not have a clue.

This album is a mix of black metal, slightly tinged with folk music, and accoustic pieces. The accoustic pieces is a waste of time and a kind of windows dressing. I do not fall for it. Far too many black metal albums has been destroyed by some pointless accoustic guitars inbetween the black metal songs. This is one of these albums. The black metal is not too bad, although not in the same league as the creative output from the likes of Darkthrone, Emperor and Immortal. Their brand of black metal are tinged with folk music and works OK. This album is certainly not helped by a substandard sound quality. A good re-master should be in order here. I am not impressed by this album at all and reward it a two stars.

2 stars