Supersister - Present From Nancy CD (album) cover

Canterbury Scene

4 stars Supersister - Present from Nancy (1970)

A very early 'Canterburyscene' record this is. Supersister doesn't have relations with other Canterburygroups as their subgenre may suggest, but is has the classic jazz-rock influenced sound like Hatfield and the North and the like. Heavy drums played fast and repetitive, bass-line supporting the drums, keys with distortion and to complete the band a flute-player. The tempo is high, the songs focussed. The genius of this record lies in its perfect rocking jazz sound that keeps on pushing. Futhermore it is a great achievement for boys their age, R.J. stips was 19 during the recording of this album.

The opening of the album is quite pleasant and happy, but soon the dark jazz rock riffs appear and Supersister moves to abstract territory. When I first hear this I though: I've heard something like this before. I am still impressed by this heavy sound which can be compared best with early Soft Machine and Caravan. There are no stand-outs on this album, everything is highly impressive. The great Mexico deserves mentioning though. The fast played vocal parts, the psychedelic riffs in between with distorted key-solo's and the dark vibe of the main theme make this a true Supersister masterpiece. The ending of the record is bit more electronic with a repetitive organbassline.

This can be seen a Canterbury masterpiece, but I will not give it five stars, though 4.3 is appropriate. So.. Four stars! Highly Recommended!

friso | 4/5 |