Can - Monster Movie  CD (album) cover

Can

Krautrock

friso
4 stars Can - Monstermovie 1969

This is the classic krautrock album. Released in '69 it was a very quick German answer to the American/English psychedelia. At this stage of the band I wouldn't call CAN a highly technical achieved group of musicians, but they had spirit! Somehow they managed to drop all common vocal styles and just had Malcolm Mooney speak or sing like a drugaddict punk vocalist. The guitars are acid like and punching. No Gilmour-like melodies, but hard rock in it's most hard form. Organ's are present but never seem to take a leading role. The Drummer Jacki Liebezeit is one of my favourite drummer's ever and he doesn't disappoint me at this debut of CAN. The basslines are the main reason for some people calling this music psychobeat, It sometimes repetitive just out of pitch loops can take you into a world of imagination. The rhytm part of the band can be seen as very progressive, for the American psychedelic scene had never been focussed on this musical element.

The controversial element of this record is the great difference of side one and side two. Side one contains of three of the best songs they ever written, side two in one long jam that some might find boring. I myself don't listen to side two as much as side one.

Father Cannot Yell starts the record with a direct meet and greet with the described psychobeat rhythm-session. They keys sound like an explosion and the guitar are screaming. It is a very tense song of which I can see why people don't like it at first spin.

Mary, Mary, so contrary. One of the finest touchy songs of Can. Based around one basic theme we are being thrown in true emotions of despair. Catchy in a dark way. I really love the guitarlines that are so spacey on this song. Great!

Outside my Door is the first less dark song. It has a great main riff with such a cool sounding harmonica. It somehow reminds me of Interstellar Overdrive. The vocal parts are a bit more poppy, like a constant growl of Jim Morrison, still this is a great piece of psychedelia.

Yoo Doo Right (side two) is as I said a jam-session. The main themes are beautiful and some parts are spacey and progressive. The whole doesn't make me shiver though, I would have rather had something like side one. But still is this a new concept of song-recording and therefore interesting for the real progressive fans. They would go in the studio to do a jam for hours and pick some part and put it on the lp.

Conclusion. A true classic with a five star side one and a 3 star side two. This makes four stars! But don't miss on this if you are interested in Krautrock or psychedelic music!

friso | 4/5 |