Dream Theater - Images And Words CD (album) cover

Dream Theater

4.29 | 2070 ratings

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars This album was my introduction to Dream Theater. Back in 1991, Jason Rubin, publisher of On Reflection, a progressive rock newsletter in the time of very little prog, had just returned from an interview eith Derek Shulman, president of ATCO records (and former front band for a little known prog band). Shulman had played some demo tapes of a band he just signed that he thought Rubin might like. Jason told me that I had to hear this band. When I received this promo I listened to it immediately. At the time I was delighted that WEA was actually promoting prog. Now it doesn't seem nearly as great.

The album does have some greatness. "Metropolis - Pt. I" is an amazing tune. One of the best DT ever made. But the album also is about half arena rock. But the good songs do shine. And Kevin Moore sounds more like a traditional prog keyboardist than any of the subsequent players.

And from time to time, you can hear what Myung is playing!

3.5 stars, rounded up.