Burnin' Red Ivanhoe - Burnin' Red Ivanhoe CD (album) cover

BURNIN' RED IVANHOE

Burnin' Red Ivanhoe

Mellotron Storm
3 stars For me BURNIN RED IVANHOE's second album is on a par with the debut. This one doesn't reach the highs that it's predecesor did but it's more consistant and overall a little more enjoyable for me. I like the way they've stretched these songs out too, they're much longer than what we saw on the debut.

"Across The Windowsill" is a good opener with the focus on the strong vocals. This one's catchy and I like the tasteful guitar at 1 1/2 minutes that goes on and on as organ, bass and drums support. Vocals return around 3 1/2 minutes, sax a minute later. "Canaltrip" is a jazzy, trippy tune with mostly sax and drums throughout. "Rotating Irons" is a bluesy track with harmonica.

"Gong-Gong,The Elephant Song" has lots of horns and cymbals until it kicks in before a minute. I like the beat here. It settles after 3 minutes then kicks back in quickly. "Near The Sea" is a laid back tune with guitar and light drums early as vocals join in. Flute after 2 1/2 minutes. "Secret Oyster Service" is the almost 10 minute closing track. Not much going on here,some dissonance around 3 minutes then it kicks in before 5 minutes.

This is a band I enjoy, but as yet I really haven't been bowled over by them yet. 3.5 stars.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |