Magma - K.A CD (album) cover

Magma

Zeuhl

Marty McFly
Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars My first Zeuhl album. I suppose that it's important facts, because of weirdness (in neutral sense) of this genre, whole new genre (trying to be completely different). And even I used "not from this world" phrase in past, now it's literally meant to be. I have to tell that I was quite afraid of this. I expected something I will not understand and not like also.

But overall result surprised me. It's pleasant (Ray Bradbury's Martians? Also something alien?), even I understand just few basic facts about this completely new culture. For example this tracklist. Ascending from 11-16-21 minutes, almost unnoticeable, but it's here. And perfect mastering of chorals (which sounds like something you wouldn't expect in prog - hello, the name is Zeuhl). Language is its own chapter. No, I don't understand, but same thing with German/French, so it means nothing, except here it's more pleasant (than these hard languages, Italian for example is nice language for my ears). And you also know that this is alien language. Jazz elements are of course here, but just as support, not main thing. Describing this music is extremely hard (even I though same thing about other bands in past, but as time went bye, I pushed my limits), but as something different for open- minded man, it's pure progress.

But I don't dare to rate it with more stars

Marty McFly | 4/5 |