Yes - Fragile CD (album) cover

FRAGILE

Any Colour You Like
4 stars Not so Fragile

I am late convert to Yes. At first I thought of them as slightly kooky, eccentric and rambling. I still believe this, but thanks to Fragile, I see them in a different light. For such a well respected album, there is not much more than can be said about the music, so it is pointless to go on and on. Keeping this short is the order of the day. Musical highlights include the it-should-be- illegal-it-is-so-catchy Roundabout, the equally amazing South Side of the Sky and the Chris Squire Bass-fest, The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus).

Yes are an amazing group of musicians, all wonderfully adept at their instruments. If any great attention should be given to any of them on this album, it would have to be virtuosity of Wakeman and Squire. On more than one song, the angular mash of instruments seem to blur into a cohesive block, that somehow sounds so intricate, yet purposeful and powerful. The only major problem with Fragile, (apart from my relative contempt for Anderson's vocals) is that it is a patchy record. If some of the filler could be taken out (I'm looking at you We Have Heaven and Five Percent For Nothing) and maybe the stronger tracks given more volume (as in songwriting) and direction, then Fragile would have pushed itself into the masterpiece category for me.

In conclusion, Fragile is a great album to start your Yes journey with, and indeed your progressive rock catalogue. Don't expect the heavens and the earth, but also don't let the little things spoil the bigger picture. Oh, and the cover art is very slick too.

Any Colour You Like | 4/5 |