Rush - Signals CD (album) cover

SIGNALS

Rush

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
5 stars Signals marked the beginning of a series of Rush albums where synths, rhythm and vocal melodies defined the song writing. Unlike everything they had done so far, the guitar is used for no more then texture and an occasional sharp groove or solo.

The new style and sound was heavily inspired by the new wave movement and a complete departure from the guitar-driven music Rush had become admired and popular for. By consequence it's no wonder that this album, and certainly the ones following it, alienated many fans who had hoped Rush would keep repeating their successful tricks just like any other band in rock history. Wrong guess... Rush didn't want to start repeating themselves but move on instead: a complete makeover was what they had in mind.

Next to losing fans, Signals also won over many new fans. Like myself! Subdivisions became an instant college classic and New World Man was even a radio hit. I was still too young then (11) to notice any of this buzz, but a year later the album received a very positive review in a Pink Floyd fanzine my brother used to read and after checking the album out, we were both blown away and have both been addicted to Rush ever since.

I have been playing this album multiple times a week for years on end and even now, a good 25 years later, I still listen to it at least every two weeks. So there's no point arguing, this is my one and only true desert island album. Although there sure are more consistent albums in rock history, I couldn't bare the thought to live without Subdivisions, the Analog Kid or the Weapon.

Bonnek | 5/5 |