Van Der Graaf Generator - Trisector CD (album) cover

TRISECTOR

Van Der Graaf Generator

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
3 stars Upon the first few listens, I wasn't into this album at all. It lacked the larger-then-life quality that you expect from a VDGG record, it sounded a bit muffled and even dated and damn, do we miss that saxophone! Basically it registered more like a Hammill solo album then a band effort.

One year and another few listens later I finally got it. The inferior tracks Hurlyburly and Drop Dead aside, this is yet another fine selection of tracks representing another expression of what VDGG is about. It's an incarnation that has survived Hammill's recent heart attack and that consequently has accepted that it is older, less energetic and maybe even less vital, but still convincing, burning with a more subdued passion.

Considering the age and health of the guys involved, this approach might actually be longer-lived and even more 'true' and relevant then the incarnation on 'Present'. We'll wait and see. Thanks to Hurlyburps only 3 instead of 4 stars.

Bonnek | 3/5 |