Anekdoten - A Time Of Day CD (album) cover

A TIME OF DAY

Anekdoten

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
5 stars If you want to know how much I marvel at Anekdoten's music I will simply refer you to my Gravity review and not start all over again here. A Time of Day continues in the same vein as Gravity, with some extra proggy things thrown in for good measure such as vintage prog instruments like moogs and flutes and some unexpected interludes and alterations in some of the songs.

Even so it took me months to appreciate it, I could tell a similar story to that of a reviewer above. I liked it at first but it didn't really gel until I gave it another spin in the spring of 2009. I've played it an uncountable number of times since and it still continues to blossom more intensely. That is how slow and simultaneously addictive this music works on you. So be warned and go out and buy this now. Just like a good wine this needs a few years to season.

I initially gave this 4 stars because I like the bleak beauty of Gravity even more, but since this sits definitely in the top 5% echelon of my discography 5 stars it must be. There's few contemporary bands that crawl under my skin like this.

Bonnek | 5/5 |