Ash Ra Tempel - Ash Ra Tempel CD (album) cover

Ash Ra Tempel

4 stars "Brain-melting" is the first thing that comes to mind when attempting to describe this music. For me, I need servings from both sides of the progressive coin: structured 'European' type stuff, as well as the unhinged cosmic slop which Germany spilled forth so graciously. This album falls firmly in the "cosmic slop" category -- actually, it may just be the finest example of unadulterated psychedelic mayhem that I've ever heard. Guitar, drums, bass -- two instrumental tracks; equal time is spent drifting serenely in space and going noise explosion. "Amboss" is especially intimidating, with an amp-torturing frenzy in the middle that always leaves me bewildered. If you need to lose yourself in some classic Kraut space-mush, this is the place to do it.
corbet | 4/5 |