Carpe Diem - Cueille le Jour CD (album) cover

CUEILLE LE JOUR

Carpe Diem

toroddfuglesteg
4 stars Once in a while, a piece of music jumps out of the loudspeakers and grabs me by the throat. The opening track Couleurs is one of these pieces of music. The twenty-two minutes of music is a blend of symphonic prog, Canterbury prog and jazz. The opening salvos of moog is just heaven and utter heaven. The rest is a mix of superb vocals and the above mentioned styles of music, pretty much dominated by Claude-Marius David's superb flute and sopransaxophon pieces. Couleurs is a creative triumph for the mankind and one of the best piece of music I have ever heard.

I have no idea who this band is. I put the album on for the first time and I lost my ability to speak for some minutes. I was spellbound. I was shocked. I was in heaven. I am now supposed to give reference points for this music. The first thing that came into my mind was a melodic version of The Soft Machine's closing twenty minutes long epic on their Fourth album which I have forgotten the name of. PFM also springs to mind. So does Genesis too. Return To Forever also springs to mind. The excellent, intense music on this album as a whole is something Chick Corea would have been happy with. Add some really good vocals too and you get the picture. In short; this is music which should appeal to mostly everyone in PA.

Couleurs is a fantastic track and the rest of the album is not that good. But it is still an excellent album and one I will saviour for decades. I still have no clue who this band is. But I am now a fan.

4.75 stars