Muse - Showbiz CD (album) cover

SHOWBIZ

Muse

The Runaway
4 stars AN ALBUM! AN ALBUM!!!

Showbiz is Muse's debut album after a long series of 3 EPs, called Newton Abbot Demo, Muse, and Muscle Museum, each to its own. Ever since the album's release Muse had been called Radiohead-copycats, and thiefs, but in my opinion, their style is their own.

From the epic piano opening of Sunburn to the hard-rock ending of Hate This & I'll Love You, this album has everything in between, instrumentally, compositionally, lyrically, and musically in general. Matt Bellamy's voice is already in its full melodramaticism, Domnic Howard's drumming is as powerful as usual, and songs like Showbiz demonstrate how grandiose Chris Wolstenhome's bass playing can be. The band may not fit into the definition of a power trio, but I think they can definitely be called that.

I'm keeping this a song-less, short, and simple review, so all I have to say, is that despite the many critics saying bad things about this album, it deserves a higher rating. Highlights that probably should be given a listen before purchasing this album are probably Showbiz, Falling Down, Muscle Museum, and Sunburn.

4/5, because it is merely a preparation for the musical geniuses who are Muse's following albums, like Black Holes & Revelations and Absolution.

The Runaway | 4/5 |