Gazpacho - Night CD (album) cover

NIGHT

Gazpacho

fighting sleep
4 stars I've never understood the appeal of neo-prog acts such as Marillion or I.Q. The music seems to wallow in a mess of unappealing melodies and poorly concealed Genesis covers. Harsh? Maybe. Marillion for Marillion fans, I say.

Gazpacho is much more my speed, and I find it hard to believe that Marillion could have influenced any album that is this good. Kudos to them if they did, though, and let that be my last word on the subject.

The album is made up of five songs, with three of the songs following a core rhythm and melody in different ways. Ohme's vocals (a delicious cross between Morrissey and Thom Yorke) suit the psychedelic atmospheres and dynamic melodies wonderfully, a drastic improvement on the poppier format of the songs on the band's first three albums (don't get me wrong, I really liked those albums, but Gazpacho really comes into its own on Night).

The instrumentation on the album is fairly simple, but the subtle hooks and dynamic evolution of the mammoth arrangements swept me along with it, and before I knew it, Night was the only album I was listening to for about a month. I've had the album for about a year now, and the sound is still fresh and enticing. Simple, powerful, highly recommended.

fighting sleep | 4/5 |