Gong - Radio Gnome Invisible Vol. 2 - Angel's Egg CD (album) cover

Canterbury Scene

friso
4 stars Gong's RGI vol.2: Angel's Egg

Stange, weird, Gong..

I loved Gong's Flying Teapot (RGI vol.1) at first spin, but Angel's Egg is another story. It is more eclectic, covering more music genre's, it's abstract, spacey and puzlling. The weird Daevid Allen vocals are present, but less catchy then on the Teapot. Ofcourse there is the storyline about Zero the Hero who by now enter's the strange world of planet Gong inside his mind.

Gong's sound is constructed with the great drums of Pierle Moerlen, nice jazzy basslines, spaceguitar by Captain Hillage, hippi vocals by Deadvid Allen and lot's of synthesizors and ofcourse jazzy saxes and other wind instruments.

The first eight minutes consist of spacy, ambient soundscapes with strange vocals. Sold to the Highest Buddha (great title!) is the first song. A great opener with an strange catchy chorus. Castle in the Clouds is a atmospheric multilayer guitar-with-echos part of mister Hillage. Prostitute Poem takes us to some dark French Cafe in which Gilli Smith tries to confuse us with her strange vocals and lyrics "I'm eating your mind". Strange atmospheres, hard to discribe. Givin my luv to you is a bar-song in again a cafe setting with drunk men singing it. The next song Selene takes us back to the progressive Gong sound just in time. A nice atmospheric progressive song that's sticks to my mind. Just lovely!

On side two Flute Salad and Oily Way are great songs with nice lyrics about the Pot Head Pixy way of life. After these songs I kind of loose grip again on this record. The temple parts are strange, but beatifull. I niver Glid Before is again a way back to the classic Gong sound and the final song Eat that phonebook Coda is also in the Gong tradition.

What to say about this? I listened to it eight times now and I don't think I like it as much as the Flying Teapot. Some parts of the record make me loose the connection to the music, for they are so eclectic. Still these parts are great, but they stay confusing. The latter thing isn't unexpected for a classic Gong era record. The Canterbury sound appears more on this album then on RGI part one and the great drums of Pierle Moerlen are a blessing for my ears. It could have been listed as spacerock. If you are planning to explore the world of Gong this is a bad place to start, but a great experience to complete your journey! For now I will give it four stars.

Try it if you dare!