Khan - Space Shanty CD (album) cover

SPACE SHANTY

Khan

Canterbury Scene

friso
5 stars As soon as I laid eye on this cover I knew it: when I see a vinyl version of this I just have to have it! Reading about it on progarchives got me pretty interested. And then - A new limited vinyl print of Khan - Space Shanty at my local record store! And I liked it instantly.

Only the first four sentences of the lyrics are not perfect, the rest of the album is masterfull Canterbury progressive rock with some nice space guitar by the hippi from space; Steve Hillage, who would join Gong after this project. I greatly admire his playing, but the keys of Egg's Dave Stewart are great as well. The grand price is however for drummer Eric Peachy. Every riff is played with different fills, always playing like he is the inventer of the instrument! No silly eighties drumlines here, but the finest of seventies drumplaying!

The concept of this album is backed-up by it's great cover that is one of my favourites of the Canterbury scene, along with Gong's You and Flying Teapot.

All songs are great, with nice melodies and great instrumental passages. Both vocalists don't have a perfect voice, but the managed to sing it in two voices. The result is great! All tracks have their progressive moments and their great touchy vocal parts.

I also like the 'Driving to Amsterdam' song, for I'm a Dutchmen and I like the idea of an English band singing about my small country about it's freedom (softdrug's are legal here) and it's problems (The dyke of worry).

I greatly enjoy this album and it will stay that way. This is essential canterbury and should be listened to by everyone active in this community. Five stars.

friso | 5/5 |