Triumvirat - Illusions On A Double Dimple CD (album) cover

ILLUSIONS ON A DOUBLE DIMPLE

Triumvirat

friso
4 stars Triumvirat - Illusions on a Double Dimple (1973)

Yes, it sounds an awfully lot like ELP. In fact, I think there is little progression made here. No new grounds are discovered, no new recordingtechniques and no new sounds. This leaves us a still very inspired heavy/symphonic/key prog album! The recording itself is still quite oustanding for 1973, the coverwork inspired. Triumvirat proves to be a highly evolved technical group with great the keyplayer Jurgen Fritz, heavy drummer Hans Bathelt and bassplayer Helmut Kollen.

Though in the vein of Emerson Lake and Palmer, I find this Triumvirat much better then everything I've heard from ELP so far. This record is focussed, with no moment wasten. Two times twenty minutes of music, no interuptions, no fillers. The vocals are surpringly good for a German band. Both sides of the lp are great, I have no preference. There isn't much else to say about this record, for everyone knows about the ELP sound.

Yes, it sounds an awfully lot like ELP. But it's better. Four stars.

friso | 4/5 |