The Soft Machine - Fifth CD (album) cover

FIFTH

The Soft Machine

Canterbury Scene

toroddfuglesteg
3 stars This band deeply fascinates me. They are miles away from what I always thought was my type of music. But still, I really enjoy albums like Third, Fourth and this one.

Fifth is probably the most introvert and improvisation based albums of them all. I am not sure if there is any major concept in any of these tunes. They are that improvised. But they still work. Drop is a very good song. The same goes for As If. The rest, and the album as a whole, is very introvert and difficult to grasp. It is avant-garde. It is still a joy to behold.

The problem though is that this album is too introvert. I have been informed by better informed people than I that this is their most interovert album ever. That's a relief...... Maybe they took this alley to it's natural conclusion and then turned around again. In my view, this album is good, but nothing more. It is simply too introvert to be a really good album. Still, it makes my day.

3 stars