Eloy - Ocean CD (album) cover

OCEAN

Eloy

Psychedelic/Space Rock

friso
3 stars Eloy - Ocean (1977)

I got a viyl copy of this hailed spacerock album for just 1 euro on a secondhandsmarket, the queality was as if it were new. I got very excited about this, because I wanted to get more space rock for my collection. The concept of the rise of Atlantis is well chosen, an interesting topic.

The music. Eloy has a warm symphonic rock sound with some senthizisors for the space sound, but not as much as Hawkwind or Gong would do. The guitars are often well played, but they do not 'rock' so much. They are a steady factor in the band. As with a lot of space rock the 'sound' seems to be the main point of concern here. The compositions evolve slowly and Pink Floyd could be seen as a point of refference. Sometimes the songs are too long and I sometimes loose my attention. The dominant atmospheres are dark, majestic and warm (like you would expect by the title "Ocean"). The vocals are sung in English, but you can hear the German background of the vocals very clearly. This doesn't bother me, but it might bother some other people around here. Apart from the laguageproblems, I don't like the vocals so much. Most of the time it's more like an scream than a melody. There is no real progressive edge on this record, there's nothing new under the sun. Just a good band playing good sympho.

Conclusion. A nice spacerock record from Germany, but not very progressive. It is sound- based. I begin to get bothered by the fact that sympho rock albums tend to sound a lot the same and everyone still likes it. No progression at all, no new concepts, no new rythms. I will give this three stars, for it is a likable album. Recommended to spacerock/sympho progfans.

friso | 3/5 |