Long Distance Calling - DMNSTRTN CD (album) cover

DMNSTRTN

Long Distance Calling

Post Rock/Math rock

Tarcisio Moura
3 stars First of all I must say I´m totally new to this so called post rock/math rock genre. So this review is for beginners too. I wanted to know something about this kind of music and Dmnstrtn is my first entry into this world. Basicly this band is a quartet (two guitars, bass and drums) plus a fifth member, Reimut van Bonn, who takes care of ´ambience´ (I believe this is the background effects you hear throughout the CD, like voice samples and things like that);

The music inside is totally instrumental, with the guitars working as a unit producing a series of chord progressions in a minimalistic way. There are almost no solos, the songs are all based on those chords with bass and drums providing a strong support. All the musicians are good ones and I specilly like thed the bass player. Production is also very good and clear. The music is nice, pleasant and harmonic, although not really my cup of tea. I much rather hear something more ´traditional´.

Still I´m glad I got this EP and started my knowledge in a differente field of sounds. I´m gonna look for their latest releases to see if they did add something more interesting into their already well structured work. My rating as a newbie: 3 stars. Good, but defintly not essential.

Tarcisio Moura | 3/5 |